TV VERSUS THE FIREPLACE - where to place them ?!
TV versus the Fireplace - The "Where to place them" Conundrum
You purchase a TV, and the moment you leave the retailer, it's value atrophies. This is no different than your computer, or I-whatever, gadget, etc., but however quick their value decreases, they have become a prime focal point in great room spaces!
Fireplaces these days have increasingly have had to "figure it out", how to showcase their presence along side "the TV".
Traditionally, a television was placed wherever there was spare space on a wall or in a cabinet storage opening. The fireplace was always the king of focal points. Today, this deliberate arrangement, or lack thereof can be a tricky solution to develop when helping a client during a renovation.
Home floor plans are also changing. We are moving away from traditional floor plans. Not so often are builders showcasing a separate a more formal space for the dining room, instead home offices are being planned and of course the infamous great room: kitchen - living / family room combination. In general, with great rooms there is less wall space for fireplaces and televisions to be placed.
So, with the above stated... And if you have a client who wants their flame + comfort experience, where the H-E, double hockey sticks do we plan the T.V?
Great rooms are often multi-purpose type spaces - it's used for several functions, which further complicates the "competition" between the T.V and the fireplace. Which should you prioritize? Do you plan them both to on the same wall? Top / bottom? Side by side? Other?
There are several solutions, which often depend on the users of the space, the size of the walls, the orientation of the room (and a TV!!) and whether the space in question is formal or casual in nature?
The following are 5 tips that can help provide functional + visual balance between the fireplace and T.V. :
1. It is critical that the distance between the T.V. and the sofa or chair is sufficient. You want to ensure you are not straining your neck when viewing the T.V. Provide enough distance, so when watching a Kardashian marathon for 10 hours, plus, plus the distance allows for neck + eye comfort !!
2. Frame + install your fireplace low towards your finished floor. A Zero clearance fireplace (a fire safety thang - and, yes, research will be involved!!) closer to the floor or one that can sit on the floor will allow your T.V. to be mounted closer to your eye level, which is best for viewing comfort.
3. Install a mantle between the T.V and fireplace or create a recessed alcove into the home build out design to inset the T.V (furring out the wall around the television) you will create an advantageous physical separation between the two features … We love the look of having the front face of the T.V. align with the front face of the finished adjacent wall. Tips for this tip: ensure you have blocking in the wall to support the T.V. + all associated ecoutement... and, make sure there is a couple of inches of breathing space on all sides surrounding the T.V.
Let's be honest, the man of the house will likely want to go bigger, sooner than later - you will need some room for growth !!
4. Remember to have the necessary backing boards/ anchors (blocking!! Yes, mentioned above) installed to support the weight of the television above the fireplace. We recommend bringing in a pro to complete this portion of the install. Also, please, please, please ensure all cables, wires, etc. are concealed !! There is nothing worse than having a dramatically designed T.V. / fireplace elevation designed carefully by Design Shop and having crap cable management!!
5. Wiring is tricky. Note ALL necessary electrical needs that are to be used above the fireplace. Cable outlets, electrical outlet, a grommet to connect the cabling from the T.V. to the game, docking stations, etc.
Questions, comments, inquiries? Let us know - we love talking shop !!